Thursday, April 24, 2014

20 SOME YEARS LATER AND MARTHA FINALLY GETS A FACE LIFT!

So this week I decided to give my "Martha Washington" sewing cabinet a much needed and belated face lift. These little stands were made popular back in the early 1900's when everyone was broke and manufacturers were looking for smaller wares to sell during the Depression. I bought mine in my hometown of Madison Ohio at a yard sale back in the 80's. They actually have nothing to do with Martha Washington and came along after her time. 
They sell on eBay, depending on the condition anywhere from
$150.00 to a very high end of $500.00. They are made out of solid Mahogany wood or walnut. Some were made out of different fruit woods.
That said, I am not a wood purist. I truly believe a piece of furniture should reflect your own taste and style. I like painted furniture. My son said I ruined a great antique. I say...it's still an antique. It's just a white one now. And if it gets passed down or sold when I die then someone can strip it, sand it and re-stain it back to it's original form. But me? This little gal has been sitting around my house, and my last home, then in the garage, in the attic and all over waiting patiently for more than 20 years!!! She deserved it, so, I painted her finally. And I gotta say....I LOVE IT!
For primer I used Valspar Paint and Primer in One in a Satin Finish. I use the spray form because I feel like I get better coverage and it's much easier with a spray. And I want it primed good. I sprayed 2 coats of primer. Sanded it lightly and then painted it with Valspar Paint and Primer in One, in Satin Finish "Bistro White". I went to Hobby Lobby and bought several different knobs to replace the old wooded ones. I really liked the vintage yellow ones and since I am using this stand in the kitchen where there is yellow I thought it would look good.
Then, as always, I had to think about how fickle I am when it comes to placement of furniture in my home. I am ALWAYS moving things around and changing things up. So it has to be versatile. I like furniture that can be moved from room to room and fit in. And although yellow would work I chose black and silver knobs that would be more adaptable. So after 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of Bistro White in Satin, and the new knobs....I LOVE IT!!! 

So here's the before..








and here is the after!!!



Link up parties
http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/2014/07/home-sweet-home-180.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

I so appreciate each and every one of you who have taken the time to leave a comment. I read each one and I love getting your feedback on my projects and thoughts. Thank you so much! Please come back!